Pages

Monday, November 16, 2015

My Miracle. My Life. My Lauren.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein 

November is Prematurity Awareness Month! Enjoy this journey from a Blossom Mom Who Rocks about her daughter's premature birth. 

My Lauren

Having a child is the most precious gift from God, and I am so blessed to be able celebrate my miracle -“My Lauren” each and every day.  My husband and I were very excited about my pregnancy, as this would be our first child together.  He made sure he was at every doctor appointment and I remember the nervous feelings we shared as we prayed that every appointment would be good news. 

When it came time for the first ultrasound, I remember the doctor having problems finding the heartbeat and then he said, “there it is!”  I believe the world had stopped and began to move again in a matter of minutes of hearing those words.  From that point on, every visit could be labeled as a good visit.  I remember feeling really energetic and active. 

Then one day I wasn’t feeling so great and I had an appointment scheduled for later that afternoon.  When I arrived as soon as my husband saw me, he asked “are you feeling ok?”  I told him I felt a little tired but overall I felt great.  I attributed my fatigue to being further along into my pregnancy and assumed it just came with the territory. I went through the normal routine… Peed in the cup, had my blood pressure checked, and waited for the doctor.  

It seemed like it took the doctor forever to come into my examination room.  When he arrived, the look on his face was a look of concern.  Clearly something was wrong.  He said, “Angela I want to send you down to the hospital for more tests as we have found a high amount of protein in your urine".  He continued that it was nothing to be too alarmed about, as this was a precautionary measure to ensure that the baby and I were okay.  

Once the hospital begin testing it was clear that I wasn’t going home and the baby and even I, were in trouble.  As soon as I received the news that I wasn’t able to go home and they wanted to monitor the pregnancy. My hands, my feet, my face, my entire body began to retain an astronomical amount of fluid.  I was informed that I had preeclampsia.

Preeclampsia is a condition in pregnant women where  high blood pressure and protein has developed beyond 20 weeks into their pregnancy. It can endanger the lives of the mother and the baby or cause other serious medical complications.  I was afraid for my baby’s life.  Not only was my baby fighting for her life, but I was now fighting for mine.  



I had been in the hospital for approximately 2 weeks (28 week mark) when my doctor told me, “Angela call your husband back to the hospital… The baby is struggling I have to take the baby now.”  I called my husband – whose voice began to tremble on the phone.  He said "baby I’m on my way."  I called my mother and she said, “Angela calm down and pray – God will get you through but you must TRUST and BELIEVE.”  

Those words carried me into surgery and I delivered a 2 pounds and 14 ounces baby girl.  God had blessed me though at the time the fight was long from being over.  My daughter was in the NICU for 12 weeks.  Everyday, I laid her on my bare chest and we were both wrapped in the blanket – this method is referred to as Kangaroo Kare (or skin-to-skin contact, which is beneficial in regulating a neonate's heart rate, temperature, blood pressure, respiration rate, blood sugar,  liver enzymes, and helps prepare both the baby and the mother for breastfeeding).  

“My Lauren” got stronger every day… She would look at me with those big eyes and I knew she loved me and she was a “fighter.” So today and everyday I celebrate “My Lauren” who is now 10 years old, 5 feet 4 inches tall.  She is our miracle and we are blessed.

Do you have another miraculous premature birth story? Share it with us! 



A Note from Blossom 

Lauren is a straight A student, a gifted visual artist, and a community servant. 


Angela Walker is an Independent HR Consultant and Global Business Partner who has shaped high performance cultures at Fortune 500 and major growth brands with strategies that brought about efficiencies, robust development programs, and prolific communications.  She received her Bachelor of Business Administration from Tennessee State University.  Angela recently became a Accountability Coach where she supports individuals who seek leadership development, motivation, career development, and the establishment of life goals.  Angela said her greatest professional accomplishment was becoming an entrepreneur; however, her greatest life accomplishment is her family.  Angela is married to Randy, Quality Assurance Project Engineer and they have two children, Ronnie (22 ) and Lauren (10) - who she often refers to as their "miracle baby."

Please visit Angela if you are interested in her becoming your Accountability Coach!

No comments:

Post a Comment