Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

One In College And One In Kindergarten: A Dad's Perspective

The quality of a father can be seen in the goals, dreams and aspirations he sets not only for himself, but for his family. ~ Reed Markham

As we continue to celebrate fathers, I absolutely love sharing this story of this quintessential family man. I enjoyed his stories, posts, and pictures about his wife and daughter, and I actually squealed when I saw what was next to come for them. Enjoy! 

Most people have a season in their lives where they have kids. Usually they space the kids out to be 2-3 years apart. But what do you do when your kids are 16 years apart? 

When I found out I was going to be a father for the 1st time, I was 20 years old. I was in summer school, between my sophomore and junior years of college, when my girlfriend told me that she was pregnant. (I actually knew she was pregnant before she told me, but that’s a story for another time.) Although it was a life-changing surprise, I was more excited than scared or nervous. I always knew that I wanted to be a father and I knew that I wanted a few kids. It wasn’t the timing I had in mind, but I immediately got excited about being a dad. It was surreal when we went to the doctor for the 1st checkup and he announced that the baby’s due date was March 8, 2000. When the doctor asked why I was laughing so hard, I told him excitedly “That’s my 21st birthday!” It was going to be the perfect birthday present. But my sweet daughter Taylor decided that she wanted to come into the world showing me who’s the boss. She took her time and made her debut on March 10th, 2000 instead. When I got a look at this face, I forgave her. 

Welcome to the world Taylor! 

Taylor’s mother and I never married, but we became great co-parents. Over the years, we have always worked hard to make sure that Taylor knew that her parents love her. School, work, and other life changes have put physical distance between Taylor and me, but I always make sure that she knows her father is there for her no matter where I am and where she is. 

Taylor's First Christmas

In 2008, I got married to a wonderful woman named Patrice. I was so excited to start the new chapter of being a husband. While we were dating, we knew that we didn’t want to have kids right away because we were still young (29 and 26). So we wanted a few years before we started trying. Well, sometimes the process of starting a family takes a little longer than you think it will because it’s not your plan that matters. It’s in God’s hands. So in August 2015 at the ripe old age of 36, I found out the great news that I was going to be a father again! We were expecting a child that would be born in April 2016. If you’ve been doing the math, you know that would put a whopping 16 years between children. That led me to create this meme: 


Stages of change: You're happy when you find out your wife is pregnant. But then you do the math & realize... You're going to have a kid in kindergarten & college at the same time...But then you remember that kids are a blessing & you can't wait to be a dad again!
So our family was blessed with a new addition on April 17th, 2016. A boy named Dwayne Dan Morrow, III or as we call him “Trey”. 

Just 2 Dwaynes Hanging Out

The main thing I can tell you about the difference between being the father of an infant and at 21 & 37 is that those sleepless nights take a much bigger toll on the body. It’s going to be a challenge to help 2 kids that have such a big age difference develop that sibling bond. But they are working on it already.  

Tay and Trey

I still know that fatherhood is the greatest responsibility that I have. I was blessed to have many examples of great fathers in my life to look up to like my own father, my grandfather, and various uncles. I aspire to live up to their example in shaping the lives of my children.  So to all of you fathers out there, I say take the responsibility seriously, but have fun being a father. I hope fatherhood puts a smile on your face like mine. 



Dwayne Morrow, Jr. is a graduate of Tennessee State University. He has served in various community education roles over the past decade. He is the executive director of the nonprofit, Individuals Providing a Positive Presence, Inc.  You can follow Dwayne on Twitter and Instagram @ddmjr79, You can follow IPPP on Twitter and Instagram @IPPP_INC If you would like to contribute to IPPP's important programs, please visit them here

2 comments:

  1. Loved it Dwayne!!!Enjoy every moment of parenting even when it drives you coo coo...Sometimes coo coo is fun!!Auntie Bambie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic. com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete